do not fall in love with people like me.
i will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. i will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible. and when i leave you will finally understand, why storms are named after people.
- The US Government: We're not going to make it federally mandatory for people to get paid a wage they can actually live off of
- The US Government: If people want to make a living, they'll just have to work 16+ hours a day
- The US Government: And if their kids end up disenfranchised because of a lack of parental involvement, well that's not our problem
- The US Government: In fact, what is our problem is creating a system that will funnel these disenfranchised youth into our prison system so they can work for corporations (that promise us money) for damn near free
- The US Government: If they don't want to fall victim to this system, then they can seek higher education
- The US Government: Except such an education will be inaccessible to most disenfranchised people and skewed in favor of the financially stable and white people
- The US Government: And we're not going to make intervention programs like sex education and conflict resolution federally mandatory, because that's the parent's job
- The US Government: The parent who is working 16 hours a day
“There’s a lot of things I wanted to do and succeed in, but I fell down or stepped back or took a different course. I ain’t happy with myself, but I’m comfortable. I’m content. I have a dog and a place to live. I was homeless for 20 years. I used to sleep right here on these benches, and he lived outside with me. The place I moved into didn’t allow pets, but I wouldn’t live in a house without him, so they let me have him. He’s more than a dog; he’s my therapist. I wasn’t always a good boy. I couldn’t take responsibility for anything. Now I think about him. It’s only him and me. If I don’t come back home to feed him, he’s stuck in the house by himself. He’s my reason to come home.”
“How old is he?”
“Ten. We’re about the same age, we dress alike and we both have beards. We pretty much look alike.”